IEEE San Diego PSES
Meeting Date: February 12, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM Networking & Food; 7:00 PM Presentation
Speaker: Darryl Ray, Darryl Ray EMC Consulting
Location: San Diego
RSVP: requested, through website
Event Details: IEEE vTools
Summary: This presentation touches on the challenges dealing with EMC compliance on medical electrical equipment
and systems. IEC 60601-1-2 edition 4. Compliance with the standard is now mandatory in many countries.
This standard is significantly different that its predecessor. In addition, IEC TR 60601-4-2 will be
The presentation will address the following topics;
• Relationship of IEC 60601-1-2 with other standards
• Motivation & philosophy of the 4th Edition
• What is “Essential Performance” and “Basic Safety”?
• Comparison of 3rd and 4th Edition requirements
• In depth review of IEC 60601-1-2, 4th Edition
• Labeling & documentation requirements
• Risk Management for EMC
• When do we have to comply with the IEC 60601-1-2, 4th Edition?
• IEC TR 60601-4-2 (EMC “Performance”)
Bio: Darryl Ray is the founder and Principal Consultant for Darryl Ray EMC
Consulting. He has more than 40 years EMC experience working in the medical
device, ITE and defense industries. Mr. Ray received a Bachelor of Engineering
Technology degree from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Darryl has
performed engineering design testing and troubleshooting on over 100 products.
Mr. Ray has built 9 EMC labs including numerous anechoic chambers. He has
authored several papers for past IEEE EMC symposiums. Darryl is a senior member of the IEEE
and former chair of the IEEE Santa Clara Valley EMC chapter. He is an iNarte Certified Master
EMC Design Engineer. Mr. Ray is an active member of IEC TC62 SC 62A, Maintenance Team 23
pertaining to the development of IEC 60601-1-2. He is also a former member of the US national
committees for CISPR 11, 22, 24, 32 and 35.